Byron and Clair Houses (Buildings 3 & 4)

Originally designed as female admission wards, each building consisted of 16 individual rooms arranged in two wings of eight rooms each. These were at right angles to the main part of the building which contained a sitting and dining room with bay windows. However, due to a shortage of accommodation, the sitting room was converted to a dormitory shortly after opening. Byron and Clair Houses were made entirely of brick and had a deep shady verandah running along the front. The curved verandah valances match those of Blair Pavilion.

Building 4

Building 4

 

 

Patients had easy access to the garden through the French light doors and each room had a large double hung window and highlight. This facilitated the flow of air along with the ventilation system and plenty of light. The garden was fenced with K wire, so as not to impede the patient’s view of the countryside. These individual rooms were suited to the more difficult patients who required more care.

Plaque dedicated to residents of Karrala House

Plaque dedicated to residents of Karrala House

In 1963, Byron & Clair Houses were given over to the State Government to house wayward, delinquent girls. This was to become the infamous Karrala House.

Floor plan of Byron and Clair House

Byron & Clair Houses Floor Plan 1915
Qld Parliamentary Papers 1915

   

Other Featured Buildings:
Administration     -     Blair Pavilion     -     Boilerhouse     -     Dagmar House
Ellen & Frances Houses     -     Grace House    -    Kitchen & Laundry     -    Recreation Hall