Needlz: Finding the needle in the haystack
Finding the right article in ScienceDirect has just been made easier with Needlz.
First, perform your search in ScienceDirect. Then when your results list is displayed, an option to run the search using Needlz will be displayed in the panel on the left of the window.
Needlz works with the ScienceDirect search engine to refine your search query and give you better results because:
- Needlz looks at the entire article contents - not just the abstract.
- Needlz searches at a Concept level - not just basic keyword - making use of Leximancer proprietary technology, where a Concept comprises a cluster of related words that travel around together and define a topic in the text
- Needlz provides an interactive Concept Map that allows you to refine your search, and then automatically re-ranks the articles based on the specific Concepts that interest you.
Based on an initial search-term, the top 50 articles are pulled into Needlz and ranked according to their coverage of the search topic.
Before making your final article selection, Needlz also allows you to:
- View the article abstract and associated details
- View actual text excerpts containing the Concept set in the article
And if you find an article that you like, you can ask Needlz to find similar articles and present them in the list.
Try Needlz now to get greater value from ScienceDirect.
- Watch this Needlz video for a quick introduction to Needlz and how to use it.
- "Leximancer and Elsevier help find Needlz in the haystack", UQ News (published 20 July 2012)